Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Reading Resolutions

Hello readers and happy 2011! I trust the after-effects from any New Year's festivities have worn off now, and you're set and ready to make some reading resolutions for the New Year.

I do generally make resolutions, but this will be the first time I've made resolutions with regards to books specifically. However, I'd like to ensure I get a chance to read new and exciting books and not just the same-old, same-old - but also read some of the classics as well.

1. Read more Canadian Authors
I don't read very many Canadian authors, unless Lucy Maud Montgomery counts! But there are some excellent ones out there: Sandra Gulland, Will Ferguson, Monica Hughes, and Pauline Gedge, to name a few. But I also would like to read more books about Canada: both fiction and non-fiction. I think the Canada Reads books will be a good place to start: I have two at home right now, so I'll be reading those soon.

2. Find New and Exciting Science Fiction/Fantasy
Last year, I tried to find new historical novel authors. That did not always work out well. This year, I'd like to focus more on sci-fi/fantasy. I do enjoy those genres and there are some great writers who work in this field. Then, I can concentrate on the historical authors I like, while still getting some new books to read.

3. Read more Bestsellers
Now, I'm not getting all Oprah on you here: I usually deplore any book she picks for her show. But I could stand to read some of the new books that are coming out and actually be current in books too. I think I will start with the Entertainment Weekly list of top 10 fiction and non-fiction books in 2010. (Although I think I just lent that issue to a friend. Hopefully the lists are on-line!) There were some interesting looking books on those lists, and I would like to actually read them, instead of just thinking about how good the books list and then putting the magazine down, wandering off, and reading Agatha Christie for the 43rd time.

4. Read more Teen Fiction
There is some neat stuff happening in teen fiction now and some of it is really great. I particularly like the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast, and another series about historical magic series by Libba Bray. There are new books in both of these series that I need to catch up on and maybe I'll find some new authors as well. And, maybe I'll even give Twilight another go.

5. Read a classic, or two
I've read a few of the classics: mostly the ones I had to read for school and mostly those by Jane Austen! But I could stand to read some of the other classics out there - they are classics for a reason, right? I'm thinking books like War and Peace, Anna Karenina, anything by Dickens, Mark Twain, etc.. Any suggestions on where to start?

Well, I think these are some good resolutions for the new year. Hopefully I will get some good reads out of these ideas and maybe find some really fabulous authors who will become some new favourites. At the very least, I now have somewhere to start when I'm standing around my house (filled with multiple bookshelves!) saying, "There's nothing to read!"

2 comments:

  1. I'll email you that list, I promise!

    As for classics, I wouldn't start with any Russian authors if I were you. The novels tend to be long and depressing, which is not a good combo for an Alberta winter, I find (maybe a beach vacay?). I've always been partial to French 19th century lit, and also have a soft spot for Henry James and Edith Wharton. Or how about George Eliot - have you read Middlemarch? I also love Anthony Trollope, and find him easier (and more fun) to read than Dickens. You could start with The Eustace Diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, no worries about the list - I'm sure it's also online on their website.

    I didn't necessarily mean Russian authors, but they were the only classics I could think of at the moment. And yes, I would read them in the summer and not the winter!

    I do like Edith Wharton: I've read one or two of hers. I don't think I've read any Henry James, George Eliot, or Anthony Trollope. Those might be good places to start. I have read some Dickens: A Christmas Carol and Bleak House, but I thought I should read some other choices.

    My goal for reading the classics is twofold: I would like a better literary foundation, and I want to read the classics Fforde talks about in the Thursday Next books so I can get the inside jokes! It was Fforde who inspired me to read Jane Eyre, after all. Maybe Wuthering Heights would be a good one to try next.

    ReplyDelete