Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cooking: A Love Story

One of my favourite books I received this year for Christmas was a very special cookbook called Gluten-free girl and the chef: a love story with 100 tempting recipes by Shauna James Ahern and Daniel Ahern. Now, I don't want to get into specifics, as this blog is not about me or any medical issues I may or may not have, but suffice it to say that I have been put on a gluten-free diet by my doctor. (Which basically means no wheat, rye, barley, or products derived from those grains.)

To someone who likes food, this can be a severe blow. And while I may not worry so much about bread, I will miss cake in all its forms. But it means the question "What's for dinner?" just became a slight bit more complicated.

Enter this lovely, lovely cookbook. Daniel Ahern is the chef, Shauna James Ahern is the gluten-free girl, and this cookbook is the story of their romance and their romance with food, illustrated with recipes. The fact that the cookbook happens to be gluten-free is almost an afterthought, really. The focus, and point, of the book is the love story between these two unlikely people.

I enjoy sitting down and reading a cookbook from front to back. This is one of those cookbooks that flows like a story and can be, is meant to be, read from back to back. Each pivotal event in their relationship is followed by the recipe for the dish in that pivotal moment. So, we have the story of the first time Shauna cooked dinner for Daniel, followed by the recipe of the dish she made. (Baked Eggs with Taleggio, pg.16.) We have the tender and humourous story of their proposal, followed by the recipe of the dinner they were eating at the time. (Pan-seared beef tenderloin with port sauce and balsamic onions, pg.54.) Their love for each other and for food comes through clearly on every page.

This is more than just a gluten-free cookbook. Sure, there are specific recipes for bread, pasta, muffins, and carrot cake that are specifically gluten-free. But there are plenty of recipes that are gluten-free but that have always been gluten-free because they never contained wheat, such as rice, veal, and fish dishes. The authors stress the importance of cooking in season, with local ingredients, and working slowly, carefully, over your food. It is important to put your love for your friends and family into your food.

This is a cookbook for people who love food first, and people who need gluten-free food second. It is a fantastic book filled with many recipes that I cannot wait to try. (The pan-seared beef, the risotto, the carrot cake....I could go on!) In short, this is a terrific cookbook and one I would recommend to anyone who loves food, loves romance stories, and may or may not want to/need to learn how to cook gluten-free. It is a book I plan to cook out of a lot - for friends, for family, for me.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, the book even looks cute!

    Let me know once you've started experimenting ... maybe I can sample some of your new recipes ;)

    And I'm sorry about the cake (and cookies?!?) - that sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a really cute book. It's like a love story, with recipes.

    I can't wait to try out a bunch of the recipes, and the best way to do that is to have friends over for dinner. So we will be having you over to sample - a lot!

    ReplyDelete