Friday, January 21, 2011

Commuted

I had to take the train downtown the other day to run some errands, and I needed to bring a book with me to read on the train. Which leads to the all-important question: what book do I bring?

A "commuter" book has to meet a number of specifications: it can't be too big or too heavy, or I'll never fit it in my bag. So, all my large, hardcover non-fiction books are out. It has to be something that I'm closer to the beginning of the book than the end. It would be terrible if the book ended before my trip did! So, anything I'm almost finished reading is out. Heck, anything I'm in the middle of reading is out - I do read fast and I might get stuck on the train. (Yes, this happened once. Fortunately I was reading Shades of Grey at the time.) The story has to pull you in enough that you are interested but not too interested so that you miss your stop. (No, I have not done this - yet.) So I decided the Canada Reads books were out - I want to try and read them at home in the quiet so I can really focus on the story. In my teen years, I was worried about what other people would think of the material I'm reading, so I would try hard to pick something popular/cool. That phase has passed, so now I will quite happily pull out my Star Trek novel to read on the bus or train. (Although I haven't read a Star Trek novel in awhile - library trip!)

What kind of book fits all these variables? A paperback fiction novel that I've read before but am not currently reading seems to fit the bill. Usually I would bring one of my Agatha Christie omnibus books, but I have pretty much read all of them recently. Neither did I want to bring my new Poirot short story collection - I don't like bringing newer books on the bus/train in case they get beat up from being carried around in my bag. (Although they shouldn't - but they might.)

What did I choose? I picked an oldie but a goodie: Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. This book is Montgomery's foray into more adult romantic fiction. It fits all the criteria: is a light, paperback, fiction book that I have read before and wasn't currently reading. The book is about Valancy Stirling: poor, snubbed, downtrodden Valancy Stirling. 29 years old and not yet married. Ignored and disliked by her whole clan. Valancy feels like she has nothing to live for until she receives a diagnosis that inspires her to change her life forever.

Nothing will beat the charm and magic of Anne of Green Gables, but that doesn't mean one should ignore Montgomery's other works. The setting is the Muskoka instead of Montgomery's beloved island, but all of her facility for description is still there. And there are the usual trademarks: the clannish family, the love for cats, the beautiful descriptions of nature and the depiction of people in society. Montgomery tackles some darker themes in this work, such as alcoholism and illegitimate children, but it is not a dark tale for all that. We know so much more of Montgomery's own unhappiness with her life and while this work hints at sadness, she kept the ending light and happy, but still believable. Whether or not you read it on the train, bus, or just at home, Blue Castle is a pleasant afternoon read. Valancy is a sympathetic heroine and her story is something people can relate to. It is a lovely book.

What do you read on your commute, faithful readers? What are your criteria for a commuting book? Do you read on your commute? Or do you just listen to your Ipod or sleep?

3 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I've started doing a (short) commute recently (now that hubby is teaching nights on Tues and Thurs). I've been re-reading my Palliser novels by Anthony Trollope on the LRT (and at home), and they're perfect. They're long (but fairly light to carry as I have them in paperback) ... so no danger of ending the story before Century Park rolls around. They're an easy, fun read ... but I've read them before, so I can usually stop any time without any regrets as I know the story fairly well. They're actually really good re-reading material, much like the Christie's we love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I will have to try those. I often like books I've read before for the train/bus because you can read them but still pay attention to your surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Blue Castle a lot too. Have you ever read Magic for Marigold? It's my favourite LM Montgomery. Tricia

    ReplyDelete