Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 10 of 2010

There is something about the end of the year that compels people to make lists, and I am no different. Here is my list of the Top 10 Books I read in 2010 (and discussed on the blog).

#10. My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'homme (June 24th)
I read a number of Julia Child-related books this year, and I think this one was my favourite. As it was co-written by Julia, her earthy and humourous voice came across really well. She had two passions: cooking and her husband Paul. Theirs was a love match for the ages.

#9. The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey (July 28th)
This is more of an homage to all of the books is Mercedes Lackey's 500 Kingdoms series. I love the fantastical twists on standard fairy tales, and Lackey's spirited heroines. She draws connections between different fairy tales that I would never have thought of. Enjoyable and fun reads.

#8. Frederica by Georgette Heyer (July 7th)
For all the Austen fans out there wishing she wrote more books, Heyer is a close substitute. Unlike many authors of historical fiction, Heyer gets the tone, settings, and surroundings absolutely right. Maybe she's discovered time travel and managed to go back in time? Her books are that accurate. And Frederica is a charm: the titular heroine is spirited and witty. A lovely afternoon read.

#7. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (July 27th)
I love Jasper Fforde! His books are crazy, weird and fun, and I am dying to find out what happens in his new Shades of Grey series. But begin with The Eyre Affair: it pulls you in immediately as you embrace the wonderful weirdness of Thursday Next's world. And, fellow book lovers, how many of you have secretly wondered if there is a way to get inside a book - The Eyre Affair is the closest I'll get until I can bookjump myself.

#6. Enter A Murderer by Ngaio Marsh (July 14th)
I was fortunate enough to get introduced to Ngaio Marsh this year and immediately fell in love. For mystery fans wanting an Agatha Christie alternative, this is it! I enjoyed the first book, but I liked this one slightly more - Marsh really seemed to settle into her series and I enjoy all of the theatrical references. Marsh was very active in the theatrical world and her special insight into that realm give her books a different vibe than Christie's. Plus, Chief Detective Inspector Alleyn seems like he'd be a really lovely man to hang out with - I'd like a movie adaptation with Colin Firth as the handsome detective, please!

#5. Defend the Realm: Authorized History of MI5 by Christopher Andrew (August 9th)
This was a massive book to get through, but it was well worth it. I enjoyed learning about the growth and development of MI5, and it gave me a lot of ideas of other topics to read about. A word of advice to those attempting to read this behemoth: go slowly, and keep in mind that MI5 is the main character - the spies, directors and other named people come and go, but MI5 endures, grows, and triumphs.

#4. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner (August 21st)
I really, really, enjoyed this fascinating non-fiction read. The authors connect ideas and interpret data in really interesting ways. The sequel wasn't quite as good, but if you want to blow your mind, try the original. It will make you think.

#3. Brainiac by Ken Jennings (August 21st)
As a trivia nerd, how could I leave this one out? Ken Jennings is practically my hero for his amazing run on Jeopardy! And in this book, he comes across as the nicest, kindest, most self-deprecating man you've ever met. He is definitely someone you'd want for a neighbour: think vaguely Ned Flanderish but with a brilliant brain. But the book isn't all about Ken - he intertwines his story of how he got on Jeopardy! with the history of trivia. And, he even intersperses little trivia nuggets along the way. This is a great book for trivia nerds: and those that live with them.

#2. Chalice by Robin McKinley (October 12th)
Yes, I'd read Chalice before when I read it again for the blog, but was equally entranced both times. The world is so complete - you are pulled in with the main character and learn with her as she learns about her new role and the powers affecting her kingdom. Most of McKinley's fantasy books are one-offs: but I want more about this lovely world and the intriguing characters in it.

#1. Becoming Queen by Kate Williams (September 14th)
Typically for me, my favourite book of 2010 is a non-fiction history book! But don't let that scare you - this book reads like a novel, except that it's all true! Williams weaves together the lives of two princesses, Charlotte and Victoria, both destined to be Queen. One princess's life ends in tragedy, the other, in love and success. It was Williams' portrayal of Charlotte that I truly loved: I did not know much about this important Hanoverian princess until I read the book. As the young girl who was destined to be Queen, she was of great importance to the nation, and even loved by her people. She had a terrible upbringing, and grew up strong-willed and confident. Her Queenship is one of the most intriguing might-have-beens of history. I also thought I knew everything about Queen Victoria, but discovered new things in seeing her story juxtaposed alongside Charlotte's. A lovely story about two very similar young women in similar situations.


It's been a great 2010 for books, readers! What are your favourites of 2010? Any recommendations for 2011? I've enjoyed reading, writing, and ranting with you. Have a Happy and safe New Year, and keep reading!

4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Becoming Queen over the holidays ... finally got around to ordering it at the library. I think my fave books of the year were Shades of Grey (Fforde) and The Sunne in Splendour (Penman). I also loved discovering (or re-discovering) the Georgette Heyer and Ngaio Marsh mysteries this year ... so many lovely afternoons of cozy reading.

    By the way, I just finished reading Alison Weir's non-fiction book on Katherine Swynford. A wee bit dry, in my opinion. Do you know a good novel about her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly right about Heyer and Marsh - they are perfect for "cozy reading". Christies are good for that too!

    I own the Alison Weir book about Katherine Swynford - a bit dry, but not bad. The only novel I know about Katherine Swynford you'll hate: it's by Anya Seton and is called Katherine. Basically she wrote in the the 1950's and highly romanticized Katherine's life - anything she didn't know about she just seemed to have made up. And the novel was highly influenced by the morality of the time. So, it was terrible. Although it was a seminal historical fiction novel at the time, it does not stand up well today. Although Weir recommends it for light reading about the period, I don't. So, sadly, I have no other recommendations, other than to stay away from that one. Sharon Kay Penman, get on this, stat! We need a series about the Wars of the Roses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the Anya Seton one; I read Weir's introduction and thought it might be worth a read.

    This might interest you ... I ran out of books this week, so I went back to one that I bought ages ago on a whim at a second-hand book store. It's called In a Dark Wood Wondering (by Hella Haassee) and it's a fictionalized account of Charles, Duke of Orleans, nephew to the mad king Charles VI. It covers parts of the Hundred Years War (including the Joan or Arc episode apparently) from the French side of things primarily. It's really good so far - admittedly I'm only about 40 pages in. It's a nice, fat book so I'm looking forward to a good read. It was/has been supposedly a bestseller in Europe since 1949 (when it was written). Accordingly to the back cover anyway ;)

    Just another suggestion for your reading list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, that sounds really cool!

    I am actually going to have to start a reading list: I usually think that I will just remember the book, and then I am at the library, staring around at the shelves and wondering what to get.

    Although if it's anything specific that I want from the library, I generally order it in instead. Then I know I can have it.

    However, I have a Canada Reads book out of the library, so that will probably be my first official pick of 2011 (if you don't count the Christies I've been skimming through over the holidays). That and some Christmas presents.

    ReplyDelete