Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Legend of King Arthur

In addition to my recent read about Robin Hood, I also read a book based (loosely) on that most famous of British legends: King Arthur. Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones uses the Arthurian legend as a jumping-off point for a very interesting story.

Hexwood is a very confusing book to describe. And to read, actually. I have had to read it a number of times and it's only recently that I think I've started to get it. It's easier to put the pieces together on a reread.

There are two entwined stories in Hexwood. The first is a story about a young girl named Ann who is recovering from a long illness. Ann lives in a small English village near the industrial complex of Hexwood Farm and the forest of Banners Wood. Something strange is going on at Hexwood Farm and Ann is determined to find out what it is. The only way into the Farm is through Banners Wood, and that is where Ann goes as soon as she is feeling better. However, what Ann encounters in Banners Wood is even stranger than what she thought she was seeing happen at Hexwood Farm.

The second story involves an intergalactic organization that appears to be in control of Earth, as well as a number of other planets. Who are the members of the mysterious Reigner Organization and how are they connected with Earth? What is this mysterious device located in Hexwood Farm and how is it affecting the inhabitants of Ann's village? And, finally, how is King Arthur connected to these two very distinct stories?

I told you it was confusing. I suppose I could be slightly more clear, but I've only just figured it out myself. I think. Plus, I think it would spoil the book too much if I gave away the answers I have before you've read it. With this book, I think the reader should go in knowing little and try and figure it out along the way - that's more fun anyway! Time, plot, and characters are all confusing in this book. But I don't mind being confused - I like that the author assumes that I am smart enough to figure everything out - after a few readings. If you are interested in fantasy, sci-fi, and the legend of King Arthur, read this book. Let me know your thoughts and theories and we can discuss our ideas together.

If you're just interested in King Arthur without an extra layer of fantasy/sci-fi, the best modern adaption (that I have read, anyway) is by Rosemary Sutcliffe. Her brief, spare retellings contain the full essence of the myth without any overdramatization. Her books are good to learn the basic facts. If you want a more detailed and imaginative look into the Arthurian realm, you can try Guinevere, Queen of the Summer Stars by Persia Woolley. This book is one of a series that looks at the Arthurian legends from Guinevere's point of view. They are excellent reading. And, finally, I recently picked up Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit, by Mercedes Lackey, from the library. I'm curious to see how the Queen of Fantasy interprets the stories of Arthur.


2 comments:

  1. Is this as confusing as Shades of Grey was? "cause that's the only kind of confusing I like ;)

    Though, on second thought, I'm not sure about this book ... it has a dragon on the cover, doesn't it? That's one of my prejudices, as you probably know by now, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd say it's confusing in that way, in that you're trying to figure out what the story means and how everything fits together. It's definitely a multiple read, like Shades of Grey!

    Please ignore the dragon on the cover. I'm sure you can get an edition without the dragon. Dragons are really incidental to the story. Really.

    ReplyDelete