Thursday, April 14, 2011

In Sherwood Forest

Today's book is one of my favourites by one of my favourite authors. I must admit, I don't pull it out very often, but every time I read it I fall in love with it all over again.

The book is The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley. No surprise, it is a retelling of the Robin Hood story. We learn how Robin first became an outlaw, gathered his band of merry men, and established his rivalry with the Sheriff of Nottingham. All the old favourites are here: Maid Marian, Little John, Will Scarlett, Friar Tuck. And there are some new favourites too, which I will leave to the reader to discover.

What I especially like about this book is its blend of myth and history. McKinley doesn't have to be historically or factually accurate because she is addressing a character of myth and legend, but the historical touches lend veracity to her story. It is historical tale softened by legend, and legendary character made real by grounding in history.

The hero himself, Robin, is a practical, pessimistic, and even humble figure. He is no outsize superhero as painted by legend, but soon is portrayed as one by the public. The Outlaws of Sherwood shows the man behind the bow, and then builds up the legend further as tales of Robin's heroics spread throughout England. The reader also gets introduced to the backstories of other characters like Will Scarlett and Little John and they become more developed as people. The characters move out of the mists of legend and become real characters, pulling the reader in and humanizing the myths. The reader feels the power of the legend more strongly because of the human connection. I have yet to read this book and not cry at the end.

McKinley is a terrific author. As seen previously with her fairy-tale retellings, she is exceptional at taking stock fairy-tale characters and imbuing them with life and warmth. These are real people with real feelings - hopes, dreams, good points and bad. The Outlaws of Sherwood is an enjoyable book and a gripping read. You will be swept up in the plot and will not want to leave Sherwood Forest behind at the end of the novel.


3 comments:

  1. Love the pic!! Your kitty's like "MINE!" Must be a great read, hehe!

    By the way, did you read that article on Jezebel about the new Game of Thrones (title?) TV series and the lady who opined that women don't like fantasy/sci fi? I thought you might have something to say about that for sure ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to check this out, I LOVE Robin Hood stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a cute photo so I had to put it in!

    Adina - I did read the article on Jezebel, but not until I had already posted. I do have some opinions to share and will be posting soon.

    Geetabix - it's a great book. I can lend my copy to you if you want.

    ReplyDelete