Sunday, March 6, 2011

Magic

Last time I was at the library, I grabbed a few random fantasy books of the shelf to fulfill my New Year's resolution to read more fantasy. The books, however, were not that random, as I'd actually read one of them before! Fortunately, it improves upon a second reading.

The book I'd read before is Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones. Jones writes very interesting and eclectic fantasy/sci-fi novels. One of my favourites from her is Hexwood, which I picked up from the library's used book sale several years ago. It mixes Arthurian myths with sci-fi ideas and is completely brain-twisting; but very excellent. I highly recommend it.

I think brain-twisting is a good adjective to describe most of Jones' novels: certainly Deep Secret became clearer on a second reading. It is about a young man named Rupert Venables. Rupert is a Magid (as are his 2 brothers), and he lives on Earth, helping to maintain magical balance. He is a junior Magid until his senior Magid dies. Then Rupert has to search for a replacement junior Magid, while in the meantime dealing with a succession crisis in the Empire of Koryfos. It all gets slightly more confusing from there, until all of the main characters end up at a very strange sci-fi convention in a magically mysterious hotel.

On my first read of the book, I was quite confused by the Koryfos plot and its resolution (somehow involving centaurs?). I am happy to say that the book makes more sense on its second reading: I was able to follow the plots better and had a better understanding of what went on. Some characters improved over time: the character of Maree, for instance. Maree is one of Rupert's potential new junior Magids. However, upon first read, I quite disliked the character: especially for her propensity to stop her car in the middle of roads to do strange magical dances! But upon second reading, the character becomes more sympathetic. I think this is because Maree is much more sympathetic towards the end of the book. You remember this when you read it again, and so your sympathy for her colours your perception of her at the beginning of the book.

Jones creates a very interesting fantasy/magic/techy universe in Deep Secret. And while I wouldn't mind more stories about Rupert and Maree, I would also like to read stories set on other worlds within the same universe. I especially like her linking of magic and computers: I think that is very clever to have both magical ways of doing things, but also still have to rely on modern-day conveniences such as computers.

If you are a fantasy fan, I definitely recommend checking out either Deep Secret or Hexwood by Jones. I think I will try to check out some of her other books, now that I've read Deep Secret twice and Hexwood a few times. However, if her other books are anything like these two, I'm going to have to read the book a few times!

3 comments:

  1. While I admire your dedication to trying out these genres, this kind of fantasy I just can't seem to get into. Any book whose resolution involves centaurs ... I just can't. Although I'm sure that if centaurs showed up on True Blood, I would probably still watch ;) It's pretty much the only thing that's missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, forget I said anything about centaurs. They really just show up at the end and are pretty much incidental to the plot. It's not THAT kind of sci-fi/fantasy novel. While I haven't seen True Blood (which I guess is fantasy), this work falls more on the True Blood side of the spectrum than it does on the Tolkein/Guy Gavriel Kay side of the spectrum where you have very ernest elves riding around a Celtic-inspired forest battling bad guys. There's a lot more snark in Jones' books!

    If you're going to read one of her books, do try Hexwood. It deals with the King Arthur legend while being all twisty. It is also more sci-fi than it is fantasy. Also, Jones dedicated the book to her good friend Neil Gaiman after he inspired part of the plot. I seem to remember you like Neil Gaiman, right? He and Jones are apparently good friends - according to wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Jones has also written a book called: "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland" which is a humourous look at cliches in fantasy fiction. So she's on our side, promise!

    ReplyDelete