Sunday, March 27, 2011

Glee!

Ok, so today I'm supposed to be writing about the first read of the bestsellers: Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach. And don't get me wrong, it's an excellent book and a really humorous and informative read. The problem is the music I'm listening to while I'm writing - I'm listening to/watching videos of Glee on YouTube.

Yes....Glee. I'm a Gleek! And I know, this is supposed to be a blog about books. But as I've said before, when talking about LOST, I'm interested in story. Now, for me, usually, the most compelling stories are those contained between two covers: that is, stories in books. But every now and again, stories from TV or movies draw me in.

Glee is once such program. I didn't start watching it when it came out because I think I was busy - I already had a bunch of shows that I was watching and other activities I was involved in - I didn't have the time to pick up another show. I don't really remember why I didn't start watching it, because it seemed like something I would really like, considering the other kinds of shows that I like. So, a few weeks ago, I decided that maybe I should start watching Glee. It's in the middle of the second season, so I had to catch up on the first season and the first half of the second season. Well, that didn't take very long! I fell head over heels in love with the show and watched episodes back to back to back until I was caught up. I think it took, oh, about a week. And now I'm caught up with the show and have to wait until April for new episodes, like everyone else.

What do I like about Glee? Well, I do like the singing. The cast is very talented at both singing and dancing and their musical numbers are a treat to watch and listen to. Plus, the songs are very singable and I like songs I can sing along to. I also enjoy how they mash up songs together - it really gives you a new perspective on the songs and gives them an intriguing new twist.

However, there's more than just song and dance on this show. I wouldn't be coming back if I didn't love the characters and storylines. I love a good story, especially a romance, and there is enough story and romance on this show to satisfy me! The music, in this case, can often enhance the character's emotions and draw you further into the storyline. What I like about Glee is how the characters have depth and different emotions to them. The writers aren't afraid to create characters with qualities that you might not like. Rachel, the lead, is a complex young woman who is struggling to find her place in the teen society where her talent and drive do not win her friends. All the characters are looking to fit in and to navigate the complex hierarchy of high school. The show examines different perspectives on the teenage life.

But it doesn't neglect the adults. The Gleeclub teacher, Will Schuester, is struggling in his own way to fit in. The evil Cheerios coach, Sue Sylvester, could be a one-dimensional villain, but the writers have broadened her character. She still gets in some of the best lines of the show though! (And Brittany, the dumb cheerleader - she has some really daffy lines. But even her character still has heart underneath the fog of her brain.) (Also, Emma, the guidance counselor, has the cutest wardrobe on TV. I want her clothes!)

The show is also very good at portraying the life of gay teen Kurt. Kurt is dealing with coming out, dating, bullying, and finding support and acceptance in the broader community. The scenes with his dad, Burt, are some of the most touching and loving in all television. The show is good at having those "teachable" moments, without making a whole afterschool special about them.

This show can make me laugh and cry in the same episode. It is both sweet and sour - there are touching and sensitive moments, and then a completely ridiculous situation that just makes you laugh. It has heart without being cloying, and wit without being cold. I am waiting in anticipation for April when new episodes begin. I guess I have time to fit in more books until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment