Monday, September 20, 2010

Seven Sins

Continuing with my love of all things Christie, I recently re-read Sparkling Cyanide. Contrary to my usual Christie, this is a non-Poirot/Marple story. Colonel Race (seen in the Poirot world in Cards on the Table) is in the novel, but only briefly. Because Sparkling Cyanide is not a Poirot novel, it's not in my collection of Poirot omnibus books. Instead, it's in its own mammoth omnibus, Seven Deadly Sins.


This omnibus book is organized by theme. Each of the seven deadly sins is matched up with a Christie novel which particularly represents that sin. The results are interesting. I must admit that I don't read most of the stories in this collection as I have them in smaller, more easily portable novels. But there are one or two that I turn to, as well as one that I don't read at all. The author's grandson has written a preface to the edition in which he says his two favourite novels are Five Little Pigs and Endless Night, both of which are coincidentally included in this omnibus! Sadly, I only agree with him on one of those points.


Pride
The ABC Murders
As already previously discussed, The ABC Murders is one of my favourite Christies. Pride probably comes from the arrogance of the murderer, assuming that he/she would not be caught and that he/she could continue to murder at will. A good start to the collection. I usually read the version in my Poirot omnibus The Complete Battles of Hastings Volume 2.

Envy
A Murder is Announced
This is a Marple novel, and a very good one. It is a village drama, as Miss Marple's cases usually are, but still an entertaining and interesting read. The characters are really well drawn and the mystery is sufficiently complicated but not enough so that the reader couldn't figure it out by putting the clues together. Envy plays in to the character of the murderer and the reasons for committing his or her murder. Again, however, I usually read this one in my Miss Marple Omnibus Volume 1.

Sloth
Sparkling Cyanide
This novel was on my shortlist of favourites and I enjoyed reading it again. The key murder happens before the novel even opens - the murder of the rich and fluffy Rosemary. The character of Rosemary evolves through the points of view of the different people she is involved with: her sister Iris, husband George, lover Tony, lover Stephen, Stephen's wife Sandra, and George's secretary Ruth. Christie ties all of the disparate narratives together into a whole. Also, the murderer is somewhat of a twist - but to say more would be to give away the plot altogether.

In contrast to the above books, in this novel, I believe Sloth comes in to the character of both the murderer and the murdered. The murdered woman is part of the rich upper class. She doesn't have to work for a living and is free to be a social butterfly. The murderer also does not want to have to work for a living and to somehow obtain money through murder indicates a certain amount of sloth. Also a certain amount of ingenuity to plan such a murder!

Lust
Evil Under The Sun
Lust is easy to spot in this novel - it is personified in the character of Arlena Marshall, the distractingly gorgeous femme fatale who ultimately is murdered. Her character and presence is the reason why she is murdered and sets the tone of the whole novel. This is a very good Poirot novel and the murder is enjoyably precise - alibis are calculated down to the minute. I also usually read this one in my smaller Four Classic Cases.

Gluttony
At Bertram's Hotel
This is a Miss Marple novel that I don't have in my two Miss Marple omnibus collections. This takes Miss Marple out of her peaceful village and deposits her in the sheltered echelons of Bertram's hotel, an old-fashioned enclave in the heart of London. However, the village parallels run true and Miss Marple is able to solve the mystery. This is one of the Christie books that I probably have overlooked, as it's in an edition I don't tend to read much. For that reason, I am not entirely sure where Gluttony comes in to the plot, other than probably in the motives of the murderer. I will have to remedy this oversight and make At Bertram's Hotel my next stop on the Christie tour.

Avarice
Endless Night
This Christie may perfectly embody Avarice, but there is little I can tell you about it. I read this novel once, the first time I read the edition, and have never gone back. I disagree with Christie's grandson on his opinion on this book - I do not like it! It is one of Christie's later novels (published in 1967) and dabbles in spiritualism and witchcraft. I don't like any of the characters (no Poirot or Marple here - not even Tommy or Tuppence!) and from what I recall there isn't even very much of a mystery. At any rate, it is not one of my favourites and one I strongly advise you to stay away from.

Wrath
Five Little Pigs
Christie's grandson and I agree here - this is one of Christie's best and is an unacknowledged classic. This is a tricky puzzle for Poirot - he has to solve a crime committed decades ago. The physical clues have vanished, so he is limited to the psychology. He must use his little grey cells to the utmost to solve the puzzle. Wrath here comes from the terrifying rages of the main players, Caroline and Amyas Crale. Wrath also haunts in the book to remind the reader of the consequences of Wrath. Again, I usually read this terrific novel in my omnibus edition: The War Years.



Thus ends the discussion of Christie's Seven Sins. Do you agree with the choices made by the editor? What Christie books would you choose instead? I agree with most of the picks (although I'm not sure what else I'd pick for Avarice), but most Christie books contain elements of the Seven Sins. Now I'm off to explore Gluttony, in At Bertram's Hotel.

4 comments:

  1. Aww, Endless Night is not thaaat bad! Hehehe ...

    I'd forgotten, but another Poirot mystery I quite enjoy, though it's somewhat different in terms of setting from Christie's usual, is Hickory Dickory Dock. I like the various characters and their respective psychologies, and they're not all the usual Christie protagonists.

    I think I would like to have this Seven Deadly Sins edition -- it's such a disparate collection (good for a bit of variety), and it contains quite a few novels I don't already have. Too bad I've never seen it in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I read it once or twice and decided never again because I just disliked it so much. There are so many other Christies I enjoy so why waste my time on one I don't!

    I like Hickory Dickory Dock too - I agree - not the usual Christie milieu but the puzzle is up to her usual standards. It's in my The Post War Years omnibus.

    I can lend you Seven Deadly Sins for awhile if you like. I bought it from Chapters/Indigo and I think I've seen it again there at some point. At any rate, it's on the Chapters/Indigo website so you could always order it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great! I have to wait a while until I can start re-reading my Christies ... another 4 or 5 months should do it, I think ;)

    What's next on the reading list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure - just let me know and I'll be happy to pass it along.

    Well, next up for Christie is probably some Miss Marple. (I just finished At Bertram's Hotel - I'll post on that soon.) I don't think I've read my Miss Marples as recently as I have my Poirots. Plus I'd like to explore some of the other Christies that I don't own but still enjoy - like the Egyptian Murder Mystery and And Then There Were None.

    ReplyDelete