Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lost in a story

Yes, I do realize that this is a blog about books and reading. And yes, I know that television killed the novel. However, I want to step away from books for a minute and talk quickly about TV.

Now, I am interested in story. Whether it be a book, a movie or a TV show, story is what pulls me in and gets me hooked every time. (Especially romantic stories - but I digress...). For me, the medium that has the most good stories is books. That is followed by television and then movies. (I don't really go see a lot of movies - it's rather expensive and watching them in my own home is much more comfortable. Plus, a lot of movies out there aren't very good. A third sequel to the Meet the Fockers movie - really? The world desperately was crying out for another installment of that classic story?)

Television can have some really excellent stories on it. It can also have some really terrible stories - see, for example, nearly every reality show. (Although I do really like some reality shows, namely America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, and anything on the Food Network.) The good thing about television is that, unlike movies, television can be more like a book. You have longer to spend with a series (one episode every week) and you can really develop the characters and storylines much more thoroughly than one would see in a movie. In fact, it is almost book-like! And when the story and characters and acting and writing are all working together, a series can be magical.

The amazing series that I am watching now (and that is seriously cutting into my reading time!) is LOST. What a great story about a bunch of engaging and interesting characters. I do realize that LOST ended this spring. However, I wanted to wait and watch the whole show at once, and not wait week to week or year to year for each episode and season. So, my husband and I started it a few weeks ago and we can't stop! We always end up watching multiple episodes at a sitting. The storylines, mysteries, and characters are extremely compelling. We've just started the 6th season, so we're coming up close to the end. But we're not there yet - so no spoilers in the comments please.

So, if you're looking for a good story that is not in book form, please do check out LOST. It will keep you draw you in to the story in the way that usually only a good book can. You will be glued to the TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment