Friday, July 16, 2010

Why I Read

I was thinking about reading the other night as I was drifting off to sleep, and I was wondering why I read. There are so many ways to entertain oneself these days: TV, computer games, XBox, etc.; so why do I choose reading as my primary source of entertainment? Why do I read? I thought about it for a little while, and managed to narrow it down to three factors. If a book doesn't meet one of these three factors, I probably won't finish it and I won't be entertained. This is why I read: curiosity, relaxation, and escape.

1. Curiosity
I read because I want to know something. This is separate and distinct from any reading you may have to do for school and work. This is reading on your own time. For me, this is mostly non-fiction reading (as evidenced by my giant bookshelf of royal history non-fiction books!) but it may also be fiction. Every now and then at the library I pick up a random book because I am curious about the title or picture on the front cover. Sometimes this leads to a good read; sometimes it doesn't. This also works for non-fiction too - I stroll up and down the history aisles at the library, looking for books.

In fact, I can trace my love of history to curiosity. I was reading A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and the main character, Sara, remarks that she was worried she would forget that Henry VIII had six wives. I was intrigued. Who was this Henry VIII? Why did he have 6 wives? Who were they? What happened to all the wives I turned to my at-home encyclopedia to find out. Then, of course, I wanted to know more about Henry's predecessor and successor. I wanted to know more about Henry's family - his sisters, brother, parents, children. This lead to a deep and abiding interest in the history of the English Royal family; all from that one moment of curiosity.

2. Relaxation
I also read because I want to relax. Whether because of a hard day at work, or I'm waiting at the doctor's office, or I'm on a road trip, I read to rest and recover from the day. These types of books are what my mom and I fondly call "junk food books". They're not the great classics of English literature: they're quick, enjoyable reads that one can get through in an afternoon. (If one is so lucky to have an afternoon to devote solely to reading!) These are books like the Shopaholic series, Bridget Jones series (although I've only actually read the first books of either of these two series), Mercedes Lackey and Georgette Heyer. Not every book you read needs to be Jane Eyre. Every now and then it's good to have a little fun. When reading them, you know the hero/heroine isn't going to get in too much trouble that's not going to be set right by the end of the novel. You worry, but you're not stressed at the predicaments the characters find themselves in. The books are enjoyable and entertaining, but don't keep you up at night. A nice light read when you need a break.

3. Escape
At first glance, one may think this is the same as "relaxation", above. No, it is not and I'll explain why. Some authors are so good, the stories and characters so intense and believable, that you are completely engulfed in the book. Ever read a book and been surprised when you put it down to find yourself still at home? Those are the kinds of books I'm talking about. This is mainly why I read - to escape into another place or time. Some of my favourite authors here are Sharon Kay Penman and Laurie R. King. You read their books and you are there in Medieval England or 1920's England. It is always a shock to put one down and find myself still in 2010's North America. It is these kinds of books Jasper Fforde was probably inspired by to write his Thursday Next series. The one downside with "escape" books is they do tend to interfere with your life a little bit, which is why "relaxation" reads are better everyday choices and "escape" reads better for when you have more time!

So, there it is. I read to satisfy my curiosity, I read for relaxation, and I read to escape into another world. Why do you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment