Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Canada Reads Challenge

Today was a very exciting day in the world of books. It's the day when the five finalists for Canada Reads were chosen!

Okay, so if you don't watch/listen to/surf CBC, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Basically, the point is this: 5 great Canadian novels are picked. Each novel is supposed to represent a work that it is important for Canadians to read. The authors must be Canadian, but I don't believe that the setting of the book needs to be Canadian, although I am not sure on that point. Each book is championed by a Canadian celebrity. Then for one suspenseful week in February, the books are discussed on the radio (at 11:30 am here in Alberta) (hosted by Jian Ghomeshi) and a book is voted off every day. The last book standing at the end of the week is the winner!

So why am I telling you this, you ask? Well, this year I am getting involved. Instead of merely listening to the show and hearing the celebrities discuss the books, I am actually going to read the books myself so I am completely informed by the time the contest starts! (That's why the books are announced now - the point is to read them all before the climatic showdown.)

Here are the books and their celebrity supporters, in the order as seen on the CBC website (http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2010/11/24/canada-reads-panel.html):

Essex County by Jeff Lemire (advocate: Sara Quin [the Sara part of the band Tegan & Sara])

Unless by Carol Shields (advocate: Lorne Cardinal [Davis from Dog River])

The Bone Cage by Anie Abdou (advocate: Georges Laraque [Hockey player, Battle of the Blades participant])

The Birth House by Ami McKay (advocate: Debbie Travis [lifestyle guru])

The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis (advocate: Ali Velshi [CNN Journalist])

This is a varied collection of books - from graphic novels (Essex County) to one of Canada's greatest novelists, Carol Shields. (And no, I've never actually read a Carol Shields book.) I'm very interested to see how the graphic novel will work out - I've never read one and I'm interested to see how I like the format. Of the other 4 books, the two I'm most interested in are The Bone Cage (about amateur athletics) and The Best Laid Plans (about a political strategist backing an honest man for MP). The Birth House and Unless seem to be more serious novels about drama in the family life; like maybe something Oprah would choose for her Book List. This doesn't mean they can't be good, even excellent, novels, but that's not really my style. I'll be interested to see how I like them.

Now it's off to the library website to join the sure-to-be-increasingly long hold lines as news of the picks spread and everyone wants to read the books before February. I'll post my reviews of the books up here as I finish them, and then will come back in February to listen to the panel discussions and post my responses and reactions to the discussions and the final pick. Read along with me and leave your thoughts in the comments. Or live vicariously through me, but still leave your comments anyway. Happy Reading Canada!

2 comments:

  1. That's a fantastic idea!! I can't quite bring myself to commit to reading all (or any) of them - not a huge fan of Canadian lit, to be honest (very unpatriotic of me, I know) - but I will read them vicariously through your reviews! Win-win! You're doing a public education service, really :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a lot of Canadian lit either - if you look at my past list of favourite Canadian novelists (from Canada Day), I have 2 historical fiction writers, 1 sci-fi writer, and 2 children's writers. Most Canadian lit that I hear about seems to gloomy and sad for me - or too earnest; we're going to read this story and we'll all learn a lesson! Not really my style. I'd like to read more Canadian lit though.

    That's why I'm really excited about this list because the books aren't in the usual earnest and sad Canadian fiction mode. Two of them are, sure, but there's also a graphic novel, a book about athletes, and, surprise, surprise, a funny/humourous book! There will be some good reads in this bunch.

    Although reading them could be the problem: I put them all on hold after I posted yesterday and I'm between 19th and 37th place in line! The library only has 2 copies of one of the books, so it could be quite awhile before I actually read that one. I may not get them all read before the finale, but I will try to read as many as I can get my hands on before. I hope you enjoy - and are maybe inspired to pick up a book or two yourself.

    ReplyDelete