Sunday, October 24, 2010

Grayscale

Jasper Fforde is the witty and entertaining author of the Thursday Next books, which I have discussed on this blog before. He is very good at creating complex alternate realities. This skill is especially evident in his new book Shades of Grey.

Now, this is the second time I've read Shades of Grey. I'm a rabid Fforde Ffan, so when I found out he was coming out with a new book, I put it on hold immediately at the library and read it as soon as I could. The book, while amazing and puzzling on the first read, improves with a second read. On the first read, the reader is still trying to fit all the pieces together about the strange world inhabited by the residents of the novel. On the second read, the reader is able to concentrate more on the story instead of all the weirdness going on.

It is hard to describe the plot of the book without really getting into the complex world Fforde has created. But I'll try. Young Eddie Russett has been sent to East Carmine (from his home town of Jade-under-Lime) to conduct a chair census. He is worried as this will inhibit his chances of marriage with his almost-fiance Constance Oxblood. Eddie's father accompanies him to East Carmine as a replacement swatchman. Along the way, Eddie meets Jane Grey, a lovely spitfire of a girl who insists on breaking the rules of their strict society. And did I mention that Eddie only sees the colour red? And that the world is suffering from a lack of spoons? And that swans are dangerous carnivorous birds? And that people get high off looking at swatches of lime green? And that the whole society is ordered based upon colour perception and various rules from someone named Munsell? Colour and colour perception is key to this book, but Fforde also throws in board games, the Wizard of Oz, and the Muppets. (Although I didn't pick up on the Muppets until my second read.) The world could be Earth after some sort of disaster - there are references to the Previous (who I assume to be us) and I think the book takes place in Wales. Maybe. Or what was Wales.

I told you it was strange! I quite enjoyed my second read because by then I was already vaguely familiar with Fforde's unique world and could concentrate on the story and follow how Eddie puts together the pieces of the conspiracy. Or at least the beginning of the pieces - there are two sequels coming up and I can't wait to read them.

Wikipedia is your friend with this book - I recommend searching "Munsell", "colourblindness" and "trichromacy". I learned all sorts of interesting facts about colour perception. All those will help and add to your perception of the novel. That said, I still don't understand everything about the world and I love it! I am looking forward to the other books and seeing how the conspiracy plays out, but also how the world came to be.

One final note: I've categorized this book under "eclectic" instead of "fantasy". I suppose the fact that this book takes place in an alternate reality qualifies it as fantasy (or maybe sci-fi depending on the nature of that world), but for me fantasy involves more mystical creatures and myths: things such as unicorns, fairies, elves, and the like. This book has none of those things and is just plain weird. But enjoyable. But not fantasy.

So, read this book once to marvel at the incredible uniqueness of the world. Then read it again and enjoy it for the story. Then hope that the sequel comes out soon!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, she looks just as sad as I was when I finished the book and realized I would have to wait for the next installment! We should start a Fforde Ffan-club (well, I'm sure one is already started somewhere, but we could start the local chapter). Then we can line up at midnight on the release date for the second book.

    Who is Munsell? Has Wikipedia figured it out?

    In some ways, I think this book is a bit like the movie Inception. You have no idea what's going on while you're reading/watching it, but you go along because it's so good. Then you spend days thinking about it afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't intend for my kitty to look so sad - it's the only photo I had of her where she wasn't moving! She did, however, sit on my lap and purr a lot while I was reading this book. My reading is all powered by kitty purrs.

    Anyway, yes, we should start our own chapter of the Fforde Ffanclub - we'll be the only ones in line at midnight, but that's okay.

    Wikipedia hasn't figured it all out, but you should wiki Munsell. He has a lot to do with how colour is categorized. You can read all about him on Wikipedia.

    That's kind of like how all Fforde's books are. You just have to jump in, both feet, and be prepared to go with him on whatever journey he takes you on. If you stop to question or pause, you'll snap out of the story. So just lie back, relax, and go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete